commons-user mailing list archives

From Costin <cos...@edison.ro>
Subject [Modeler] ModelMBeanInfo not set right/fully
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:47:30 GMT
Hello again!

Trying  to  use  another  implementation  of  the ModelMBean (i.e. the
RequiredModelMBean) with Modeler raised some problems.

I  have a working xml configuration which instantiate a BaseModelMBean
for  a class that has some getter properties.
For example I have a class Foo like this:

<snip>

public class Foo
{
  private String a = "This is a string";

  public String getA() { return a; }
}
</snip>

and the following xml configuration file:

 <mbean
             name="myDomain:name=Foo"
             type="Foo">

 <attribute
         name="A"
  displayName="A"
  description="(no description)"
           is="false"
     getMethod="getA"
    writeable="false"
         type="java.lang.String">
  </attribute>

</mbean>

Using  the BaseModelMBean shows me the value and everything is working
okay - however using the standard implementation for ModelMBean, i.e.
"RequiredModelMBean" (and ofc adding this to the xml file)

 <mbean
        className="javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean"
</mbean>

 show a totally different story. Instead of the property value - "this
 is a String" I get :

 <snip>
 UNAVAILABLE:        javax.management.MBeanException       wraps
 [javax.management.ServiceNotFoundException: operation getA execution not supported from mbeaninfo
data]
 </snip>

 Basically  the  operation  for  the getter is not set in the MBeanInfo
 data.  More over when adding the required descriptor field in the xml
 file like:

  <operation
         name="getA"
       impact="INFO"
   returnType="void">
   <descriptor>
      <field name="role" value="getter"/>
   </descriptor>

  </operation>

  does  the trick but in the web console I got a new operation exposed
  (using BaseModelMBean doesn't).

 So    clearly    there   are   some   inconsistency   between   the
 RequiredModelMBean  and  BaseModelMBean  -  should they have the same
 metadata?

 Am I right or rather missing something here?

--
Best regards,
 Costin                          mailto:costin@edison.ro