commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: Digester :- Skipping Read Only Property under jdk 1.3.1_09
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:09:52 GMT
Hi Narinder,

That message is coming out of the BeanUtils library. The message implies
that BeanUtils thinks that the java property is a read-only property,
and therefore cannot be set by Digester.

What's probably happening is that the class you are setting properties
on does not correctly implement the JavaBeans standard, and that earlier
versions of BeanUtils just didn't enforce this.

Given this class:

class Foo {
  public String getAlpha() {...}

  public String getBeta() {...}
  public void setBeta(int betaval) {...}
}

Alpha is a read-only property.
Beta may well be seen as a "read-only" property too, because it doesn't
comply with the Java Beans standard: the datatype used to "set" the
property is different from the datatype used to "get" the property.

If this is indeed the case, then your options are:
(a) Make the class compliant with the JavaBeans standard, or
(b) Use the CallMethodRule rather than the SetPropertiesRule.

I hope this helps,

Simon