commons-user mailing list archives

From thomas.che...@ascentialsoftware.com
Subject RE: [JXPath] Performance
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:56:55 GMT

Since I did not get any answers, I am wondering if I am missing something
and if my question make sense.
What I am trying to understand if that if I have two implementation choices:

1) JXPath on top of Java objects

Or

2) Java objects -> XML serialized -> Xpath with something like Xalan

What will be faster/better? I am sure that it will depend on the complexity
of the Java object/XML tree as well as the kind of Xpath queries, but I am
wondering if anyone did any kind of performance testing in this area.

Thanks.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: thomas.cherel@ascentialsoftware.com
[mailto:thomas.cherel@ascentialsoftware.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 10:51 AM
To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [JXPath] Performance

I did a couple of searches in the mailing list and on the web to try to et
performance information on JXPath. I did not find too much result, so I am
asking the question directly to the mailing list. Anyone is any kind of
performance numbers/comparisons between JXPath and other Xpath processors
that they could share?

More specifically, here is what I am looking for. Assuming that I have an
application processing XML documents. This application manipulates XML
documents themselves (string and DOM representation) as well as a Java bean
object tree representing those documents (typed/dedicated tree for each type
of document). If I need to do some Xpath processing on those documents, what
will be the
fastest: using something like Xalan to apply Xpath on the DOM tree or using
something like JXPath on the java bean object tree?

Thanks.

Thomas