commons-user mailing list archives

From Arun Natarajan <anata...@gmu.edu>
Subject RE: DBCP PoolingDataSource example
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:57:49 GMT
Thanks, that did the trick. I used the second approach.

Regards,
Arun N

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Verbeeck [mailto:dirk.verbeeck@pandora.be]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 3:14 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: DBCP PoolingDataSource example

You can setMinIdle() to always have a minium amount of idle connection in
the
pool. (not only at the start of the pool but the whole time)
The minIdle check is done in the evictor thread so
timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis
  has to be set to a non negative-value. (you can optionally turn off the
eviction by setting  numTestsPerEvictionRun to zero or just set
minEvictableIdleTimeMillis very high).

A more simple way to create a number of connections at startup is to use the
pool.addObject() method.
(add the following after creating the PoolableConnectionFactory)

for (int i=0 ; i<initialsize ; i++) {
    connectionPool.addObject()
}

-- Dirk

Natarajan Arun wrote:
> Hi All,
> When using DBCP what parameter needs to be set on the ObjectPool so that a
> minimum number of connections are created when the pool instance is
created
> ?? I thought the setMinIdle() does this, but doesn't look so.
>
> The code I use:
>
> 		try {
> 			Class.forName(driver).newInstance();
> 			System.out.println("No Errors occured 1");
> 		} catch (Exception e) {
> 			System.out.println("class for name failed" + e);
> 		}
> 		connectionPool = new GenericObjectPool(null);
> 		connectionPool.setMaxActive(maxConn);
> 		connectionPool.setMinIdle(minConn);

//connectionPool.setWhenExhaustedAction(connectionPool.WHEN_EXHAUSTED_GROW);
>  -- NEED TO TEST THIS!!!
> 		ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new
> DriverManagerConnectionFactory(URL,null);
> 		PoolableConnectionFactory poolableConnectionFactory = new

PoolableConnectionFactory(connectionFactory,connectionPool,null,null,false,t