commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <>
Subject Re: Jelly: Accessing an xml database with jelly
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:23:00 GMT

On Mardi, nove 25, 2003, at 01:50 Europe/Paris, Bill Keese wrote:
>> Is there something already done to access an XML Database like exist
>> or xindice with jelly.
> I guess the interface you are talking about is
> ?
> I've wrote tags in Jelly to talk to Tamino (a commercial XML database).
> Tamino doesn't support XMLDB API, as far as I know, but it has it's
> own API supported in Java, HTTP, and SOAP (among others). The
> interfaces are more complicated than the XMLDB API listed above,
> because they support features such as setting isolation levels,
> fetching via cursors, etc.
> The jelly api ended up being something like this:
> 	<connect user="foo" password="foo"/>
> 	<xquery> for $e in document()/Employee where $e/name=${myVariable}
> return $e </xquery>
> (when you execute this code, the output will be the employee with the
> name stored in ${myVariable})

I think all tags should offer the possibility to stream it all! That is
that the result is directly fired as SAX events to the Jelly output.
This is immensely important for performance!

> Of course for any XML database, just like with SQL databases, the main
> part is not the API, but rather the query/update language (XQuery),
> which is just a "String" as far as the API is concerned.

If I remember well, XUpdate (which is weaker than XQuery if I don't
mistake) has an XML-encoding.
I think such an encoding is actually important if working with external
tools to prepare a query.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message