commons-user mailing list archives

From "Sumit S." <sum...@virtusa.com>
Subject ResultSetDynaClass etc...
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:05:16 GMT
The ResultSetDynaClass & ResultSetDynaBeans are a powerful way of encapsulating ResultSets
in DynaClasses. However, when we need to transfer the data from such a DynaClass to a ValueObject
(say a structs ActionForm), the PropertyUtils.copyProperties looks for a property name match.

So now my ActionForm attributes get tied to the DB Column names....and if at a later point
in time, the column names are changed, it means a change in code.

One option is to store the mapping information in a simple configuration file and override
the copyProperties to take this mapping info as an input parameter as well...

something like

copyProperties (Object dest, Object src, Map map)
{
    for each property in src
        read the value from source.
        get the corresponding property name in dest from the map
        set the property value in the dest
}

I have written a small class to do the above....
Is there a more elegant way of doing it.....The config might be XML or Text based which can
be converted into Map objects & cached.

Thanks
Sumit