commons-user mailing list archives

From Chris Handorf <ch...@cybertrails.com>
Subject [Pool] GenericObjectPool borrowObject() method needs minor patch
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 05:11:25 GMT
Look at the borrowObject() code at the following link:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/pool/xref/org/apache/commons/pool/
impl/GenericObjectPool.html

specifically, the following lines of code caused me much grief:

831             try {
832                 _factory.activateObject(pair.value);
837             }
838             catch (Exception e) {
850                 if(newlyCreated) {
851                     throw new NoSuchElementException("Could not
create a validated object");

When factory.activateObject() throws an Exception, it would be nice to
know what the Exception is instead of having it caught and obscured
with a less meaningful error message.

In my case, the JDBC driver was failing with a "does not support
read-only mode" error.
If that error had been printed I could have solved this problem in 1
minute instead of one day. I'm past it now but I thought I would pass
this on in hopes that it will help somebody else.
Maybe one of the developers will read this post????