commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [DBCP] What happened to AbandonedConnectionPool
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:34:12 GMT
The original reason for deprecation was the danger in reusing a abandoned
connection without knowing if it is safe to do so. There was a discussion about
it in april. Some people wanted to remove it completely.

I took a different approach. In 1.1 an abandoned connection will not be reused
but closed (and a new one created).
The classes remained deprecated because I think the AbandonedPool should move to
the pool package (and made more generic/safe).

The abandoned connection feature on BasicDataSource will remain supported in one
form or another. I'm not using it on my tomcat production configurations but
there are junit tests to make sure everything works.

So if you are using the Abandoned* classes directly then it is possible you are
affected by a future refactoring (we will try to remain compatible if possible
of course). If you use BasicDataSource then you can be sure the feature will
remain.

-- Dirk