commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: DBCP accessed by an outside JVM
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:58:32 GMT
JNDI is provides only a way to lookup local and remote objects.
RMI is used to invoke the remote methods

So in theory you can bind a datasource in one VM (Tomcat) and do a lookup in
your application VM and do a getConnection using RMI.
But this has approach has a problem. You cannot transfer an open connection from
one VM to another (neither a database connection nor a simple socket).

Your solution of simply opening one database connection for each application VM
is probably the best/easiest way (the number of application VMs will be your
first limit and not the number of database connections).

A more advanced solution is to separate you business and presentation code
(that’s always a good practice). Use a kind of business facade (service
interface) and data transfer objects (value objects).
If you have this design then you can deploy your business methods (and/or data
access objects) on tomcat and access those from your presentation/application VM
using SOAP.

I can recommend axis (http://ws.apache.org/axis/). I’m using it myself to
connect from a swing application to a remote server. If you have a service
interface and value objects then axis does most of the SOAP work.
You can use RMI or AltRMI (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/altrmi/) to do
the communication as well.

-- Dirk