commons-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Validator Exception
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:34:04 GMT

--- Srinivas Gunturu <sxg1127@bjc.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  I was trying to avoid explain what I was
> doing.  I will try to be short.
>
> We are migrating a legacy system to an intranet website in a phased out
> manner.  While some users use the legacy system to enter data, some will
> be using online system.  Legacy system is very lenient as far as data
> validation goes.  We have a nightly batch process that transfers data
> from legacy system to the new intranet system.
>
> The data is entered using a wizard flow and consists of 6-10 screens.
> At the end user has a summary/review screen before data is persisted.
> We have reviewers reviewing data coming from legacy system and fix it.
> When a reviewer opens legacy data on the intranet, we take them directly
> to summary page.  On summary page, we would like to validate all legacy
> data and display visual indicators for each form that fails validation.
>
> Instead of re-writig the validation, I am trying to invoke validator
> with in my action class by passing one form at a time to validate.  I am
> only at the begining and have 15+forms to go.
>
> Now to answer your question, No, my validate method does not throw an
> exception.
>
> I can include my validate code if needed.

Please send the validate method that causes the exception.  Try putting a
try...catch (Exception e) block around all of the code in your validation
method and print out any exception that occurs.  Your method may be
throwing a RuntimeException that you're not seeing.

David

> --- Srinivas Gunturu <sxg1127@bjc.org> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am using commons validator and struts.  The validation works fine
> > within struts.  However, I have a business need to re-use validation
> > outside struts.  I am trying to invoke validator with following code.
> > However, I am getting an exception.  Any idea what might be the
> reason?
> >

> The stack trace indicates you're running this from Struts but you say
> that
> it works fine from Struts?  InvocationTargetException is thrown when a
> dynamically called method throws an exception.  Does your validation
> method throw an exception?
>
> David
>
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Srinivas
> >
> > Here is my code
> > ValidatorResources resources = new ValidatorResources();
> >
> > InputStream rules =

getServlet().getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml");

> > ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, rules);
> >
> > InputStream forms =

getServlet().getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validation.xml");

> > ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, forms);
> >
> > InputStream formsTwo =

getServlet().getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validation-eventSelection.xml");