commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: DBCP accessed by an outside JVM
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:08:59 GMT
Quoting Benoit Marchal <benoit.marchal@novaxon.com>:

> To be more specific about what we are trying to do, we are using
> Webcream to make our java application web enable (see www.creamtec.com).
> Webcream is working well but we had to make the rendering job done in a
> separate JVM that communicate with Tomcat through RMI (I don't have
> access to that communication channel). Basically each client that
> connect to our Web enabled java application will induce the creation of
> a separate JVM. The problem is that we need to make connection with the
> db from within the separate JVMs. Defining a new pool for each JVM is
> not an option (too many connection opened then) and in that case using
> no connection pool at all is even better.
>
> I have tried to communicate with the Tomcat DBCP through JNDI but I
> haven't been successful so far (I am not an expert in JNDI anyway)

I'm afraid you're going to have to take a different approach.  The basic issue
is that java.sql.Connection objects cannot be shared across JVMs.  The same is
true of objects that represent pretty much any operating system provided
resource (such as files and sockets).

One possible approach would be to create a webapp in Tomcat that performs the
real database accesses, and then have your client app JVMs submit HTTP requests
to this webapp when they need database work done.  Essentially, the webapp acts
like a "database proxy" for you.

By the way, this is pretty much the design pattern for web services, so you
might actually want to look at using something like JAX-RPC or XML-RPC for the
communication between client apps and your server-side webapp doing the
database work.

> Benoit

Craig