commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daryl Stultz" <da...@6degrees.com>
Subject Re: DBCP general setup and use
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:47:28 GMT
"Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org> writes:
>Hi Daryl,
Thanks for the references.

>Constructing your own datasource can be a bit tricky, take a look at
>BasicDataSource as example
Really? I based mine on the examples and it seems to work just fine (with
the exception of the class loading in the case of SQLServer). How do I use
BasicDataSource?

>A few pointers about your current code:
>The properties you give to the DriverManagerConnectionFactory are the
>properties for your database driver.
>In your case only "user" & "password".
You mean the others I set are ignored?

>The driver itself should be loaded by a Class.forName(driver); as you
>would do without a pool.
You mean I did it right? Shouldn't the driver factory do that for me?

>Mapping of your old configuration:
>* max connections - the maximum number of connections allowed out
>=> connectionPool maxActive
>* min connections - the number of connections to open upon start up
>=> minIdle   (not only at startup but always) (needs
>timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis configuration)
>* max checkout - the number of seconds a connection is allowed out of
>the pool
>=> AbandonedConfig removeAbandonedTimeout
>* connection reset time - a possibly DbConnectionBroker-specific recycle
>time (defaults to one day)
>=> connectionPool minEvictableIdleTimeMillis (needs
>timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis configuration)

I've got the 1.1 RC and AbandondedConfig is deprecated (what is the
alternative?).

Can you give me some reasonable values for the above (other than min and
max connections since this is application dependant...)?

I see that I can set a logWriter but how do I configure it? It doesn't
seem to be logging anything.

Daryl Stultz