commons-user mailing list archives

From "Alexey Buistov" <ABuis...@miratech.ua>
Subject RE: [httpclient] question
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:16:37 GMT
Hello Oleg!

I've reinvestigated the problem and found that you're right. The response is being returned,
but my problem still remains :(

How should I implement the following using HttpClient?

 1) send a business-request to server (no problem)
 2) server returns confirmation response: I've just got your request and going to process
it. Standby! (no problem)
 3) server processes that request and _notifies_ the client: Done processing successfully.
(that's where I've stuck. The old implementation I try to get rid of uses some kind of socket
observer which queries the socket from time to time and finally gets the server notification.
Is this doable using HttpClient?)

Alexey

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@bluewin.ch]
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 12:48 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [httpclient] question

Hi Alexey,

Unless I am missing something, there is absolutely nothing you need to
change in your code.

>         HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
>         HostConfiguration hc = new HostConfiguration();
>         hc.setHost("localhost", 1010);
>         client.setHostConfiguration(hc);
>         PostMethod post = new PostMethod();
>         post.setRequestBody(requestBody);
>         client.executeMethod(post);

HTTP is a request/response oriented protocol by definition. HttpClient
will not return from executeMethod until it gets a response from the
server or a socket read timeout occurs (which is off per default).
Httpclient will continue listening on the socket at until it receives a
response status line and a number of headers from the target server.

Oleg