commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Bray (CAPE)" <daniel.b...@capetechnologies.com>
Subject turning off connection pooling in tomcat 4.1.24
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:46:46 GMT
Howdy; I have a strange set up problem here that I can't quite figure out:
it should be trivial, but I can't get it to work.

We've got some code that's oracle-specific (it needs to get to the
OracleCallableStatement) and I can't get this changed; so rather than
attempt to side-step the PoolableConnection or whatever
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory is doing, I'd like to define
a resource in my server.xml file that doesn't implement connection pooling:
i.e. just returns me a connection of the flavour of whatever database I'm
using at the time.

Like I said: I don't want to just get the dbcp.PoolableConnection's delegate
connection and fool with it 'cause I don't know how that'll affect the
pooling: I don't want something outside this connection affecting it, or
vice-versa.

My problem is that when I remove the following "factory" parameter from my
resource; tomcat *still* uses the dbcp factory.

<parameter>
  <name>factory</name>
</parameter>

Now, I took a look inside this guy:
org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory

and found this:
String javaxSqlDataSourceFactoryClassName =
  System.getProperty("javax.sql.DataSource.Factory",
"org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory");

which would suggest that the default data source factory is the DBCP one.

<deep breath>

So here's my question: is there a factory I can use that'll just return a
simple connection to the database? Basically I'm after the one I'd get by
calling PoolableConnection.getDelegate().
I've looked for one but I can't find anything anywhere.

Thanks.

from me, daniel.