commons-user mailing list archives

From "Scott, Steven N" <steven.n.sc...@citigroup.com>
Subject DBCP 1.1 activateObject problem
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:19:11 GMT
I recently tried to switch our application from DBCP 1.0 to the new 1.1
release of DBCP and found that a change to the activateObject method breaks
us.  The problem is that we are accessing mainframe data using a JDBC
driver, but it is not truly a database.  Specifically, the setAutoCommit and
setReadOnly Connection methods fail.  Version 1.0 of DBCP silently discarded
these errors and allowed the connections to be created and used anyway.
Version 1.1 of activateObject surfaces these exceptions and fails to create
new connections in the pool.

It would be nice if there were an option to disable that functionality, or
have it revert to "eating" those types of exceptions. This is a simple
enough change for us to make but we thought we'd mention it here in case
others are experiencing mysterious failed Connection creation after trying
to switch to 1.1.