commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [jelly] Jelly build fun and Library registration
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:18:55 GMT
Justin Wood wrote:
> Firstly let me say that I'm a big fan of jelly and give big kudos to the
> developers.   I use some of the standard Jelly tags but mostly I use my own
> libraries and tags to add a generic scripting capability to other
> applications.   These are some of the niggles I have with regard to the way
> Jelly is built and how custom (non Apache) libraries are added
>
> - Currently if you want to build jelly you got to get 30 jars to satisfy
> dependancies.   Does it have to be this way?

No, you actually don't need this to build the core and most of the
taglibs. My jelly copies are mostly locally compiled but I never took
the time to download the 30 jars.
The need to download is related to licenses... these jars can't be
distributed with jelly or be put in the maven repository.

I think the best would be to have a finer way to control the taglibs
being built....

> If I look at the Maven distribution I see there is a Jelly  jar there and it
> only has the core jelly packages and then there are some other jars with
> separate jelly taglibs in them eg the ant and util tags.    Looking at the
> jelly.properties file from Maven, it is also appears to be different from the
> stand alone jelly version so it looks as if those files are being made by
> mavens build (haven't downloaded the maven source).    Since Jelly was split
> off from Maven this is understandable.   Is it the intention of the Jelly
> team to split the libraries and the build in this way too?   ... cos I'd
> really like to see that and I think a couple of others might (might they?
> ...)    Something like a jelly-full.jar or jelly-core.jar with
> jelly-optional.jar or jelly-core.jar with jelly-ant.jar, jelly-util.jar ...
> etc would be cool

It would sort of prevent the philosophy of small-projects of maven, I
believe.
Your request is closer to a request to get better runnables, or do I
mistake ?
An uberjar or something like this would probably be the best.

Remember though... without the non-downloadable jars!

> - Also If you want to include your own neat namespace declaration
>
> like this
> 	<jelly xmlns="jelly:core" xmlns:f="jelly:BQData">
>
> instead of this
> 	<jelly xmlns="jelly:core"
>                  xmlns:f="jelly:com.braidquest.jelly.data.BQDataTagLibrary">
>
> ... then you have to edit the jelly.properties file inside the jar which is a
> bit messy

In the tasklist in the documentation there is a little hint about this,
I think James Strachan intended to use something like the
META-INF/services... but no-one has made the work since then.
Presumably that work would be easier as commons-discovery has evolved.

Paul