commons-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Pekny <matthias.pe...@gmx.at>
Subject [DBCP] abandoned connections problem
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:47:39 GMT
I'm using dbcp in combination with tomcat 4.1.27.

According to the tomcat docs there is the possibility to let dbcp handle
abandoned connections. As I understand it this includes connections that
are opened by an web application but are never closed.

To verify this, I've created a jsp test page, that does exactly that.
Open several db connections, but doesn't close it. (The connections are
not used to access the db, they just get opened)

In the server.xml file there are entries that resemble those from the
docs example config in the context of the application:

<!-- handling of abandoned connections -->
<parameter>
     <name>removeAbandoned</name>
     <value>true</value>
</parameter>
<!-- timeout in seconds -->
<parameter>
     <name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
     <value>30</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
     <name>logAbandoned</name>
     <value>true</value>
</parameter>

However the connections stay open and won't get closed.

It is, of course, not important to get the test page running, but the
behaviour is the same for an real application and this causes major
problems.

Yes, I know that it is important to close the connections and not let
tomcat handle this.

Any help with this is truly appreciated.