commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: correct behavior for object pooling ??- > maybe BUG ??
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:08:54 GMT
It is correct that the pool doesn't block returning the same object
twice. If you do that by accident bad things will happen.

Therefor it is recommended to keep an "active" flag on the object
itself. This has the additional advantage that you can use the same flag
to block other methods when the object is in the pool (not active).
See dbcp for an example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/xref/org/apache/commons/dbcp/PoolingDataSource.html#208

This check isn't done in the pool code for performance reasons.
But improvements are always welcome ;-)

Does this answer your question?

-- Dirk