commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] ... just one more reference...
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:43:42 GMT
Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Oh wonder!
>
> Jakarta project now has a math project!
> That's great! Indeed, the justification to have such a project are quite
> valid!
>
> Dare I add at least one pointer on the list of Developers Guide
> references ? http://www.openmath.org/

Yes, it should be added

> The OpenMath society has been working on an XML-based encoding for
> mathematical objects, since quite a long time (about ten years), the
> encoding is light and extensible.
> OpenMath also comes with a growing set of mathematical symbols which are
> well defined and have managed to avoid an amount of ambiguities that has
> appreared, for example, in MathML content or the Handbook of special
> functions.
>
> It would be quite easy to write a plug that would allow mathematical
> objects or operations to be expressed in this language (for which
> editors, input-syntaxes, and presentation-processes exist)...
>
> Any thoughts ?
>
> Paul

Yes, Dreams... ;-) I've actually had thoughts about a Jelly based
MathML/OpenMath taglibrary which would evaluate MathML/OpenMath XML
fragments, generating a series of Java Objects representing the equation
expressed in the syntax. Ideally, if a functional model was applied
properly, such "equations" could be "evaluated" to return values.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer