commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons-Logging NullPointerException
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:46:08 GMT
José Antonio Pérez Testa wrote:

> I have to set the property when deploying in a tomcat 4.1 with JDK 1.4.
> My application ear includes commons-logging and log4j jars in its lib
> directory.
> Tomcat lib directory also includes commons-logging.jar
> Unfortunately commons-logging was unable to find any logger other than
> jdk 1.4 logger.
> Configuring that property ( although in a deprecated way, as you
> point  :(  ) brought my log4j logs back again!
> I think that was also a classloader issue!

More likely you're not using the right version of commons-logging (a
*critically* important detail in reporting problems is what version of
the software you are actually using).  Version 1.0.3 is current, and was
released precisely to deal with class loading issues.

That being said, Log4JCategoryLog is deprecated, and not being
maintained.  You're just asking for other kinds of trouble by continuing
to use it.  You should really be using
"org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger" instead.

Craig