commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: DBCP general setup and use
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:53:10 GMT
see inline

Daryl Stultz wrote:

>"Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org> writes:
>

>>Hi Daryl,
>>

>Thanks for the references.
>
>>Constructing your own datasource can be a bit tricky, take a look at
>>BasicDataSource as example
>>

>Really? I based mine on the examples and it seems to work just fine (with
>the exception of the class loading in the case of SQLServer). How do I use
>BasicDataSource?

ok, not so tricky it seems, I just pointed to BasicDataSource because
that is the one Tomcat uses. It is a sort of reference implementation.
But building your own is also nice

>>A few pointers about your current code:
>>The properties you give to the DriverManagerConnectionFactory are the
>>properties for your database driver.
>>In your case only "user" & "password".
>>

>You mean the others I set are ignored?

All the properties are given to java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection but
yes they are probably ignored.

>>The driver itself should be loaded by a Class.forName(driver); as you
>>would do without a pool.
>>

>You mean I did it right? Shouldn't the driver factory do that for me?

It is not a driver factory but a connection factory using the
java.sql.DriverManager and the java.sql.DriverManager requires a
Class.forName().

>>Mapping of your old configuration:
>>* max connections - the maximum number of connections allowed out
>>=> connectionPool maxActive
>>* min connections - the number of connections to open upon start up
>>=> minIdle   (not only at startup but always) (needs
>>timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis configuration)
>>* max checkout - the number of seconds a connection is allowed out of
>>the pool
>>=> AbandonedConfig removeAbandonedTimeout
>>* connection reset time - a possibly DbConnectionBroker-specific recycle
>>time (defaults to one day)
>>=> connectionPool minEvictableIdleTimeMillis (needs
>>timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis configuration)
>>

>I've got the 1.1 RC and AbandondedConfig is deprecated (what is the
>alternative?).

The feature will probably remain in future releases but the
implementation may be refactored if needed.
But it is safe to use.

>Can you give me some reasonable values for the above (other than min and
>max connections since this is application dependant...)?

Set removeAbandonedTimeout only if you have a connection leak in your
application/dependant libs.
It should be higher then the longest time you use a connection.
minEvictableIdleTimeMillis is for network/database environment where
connections are being closed by a firewall/database when they are idle
for too long.
It is really dependent on the environment.

>I see that I can set a logWriter but how do I configure it? It doesn't
>seem to be logging anything.

Logging is a weak point, currently nothing is logged to the logWriter.

Dirk