commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DEBUG vs. TRACE under Log4JLogger
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:21:26 GMT
Steve Cohen wrote:

>Well, I understand what you're saying, but now I've had the nasty
>surprise of upgrading to 1.0.3 under the assumption that TRACE would be
>a no-op under log4j only to find that it's been redefined out from under
>me.  You haven't commented on my question as to whether that's the way
>it used to work but I have a pretty strong remembrance that that's what
>it did.  I remember a pretty nasty RTFM from the Log4j people when I
>asked them why trace() did nothing.
>
>Unfortunately I can't find the old docs.

A browse through the CVS history of Log4JLogger (and its predecessor,
Log4JCategoryLog) will show that the Log4J wrapper has *always* mapped
TRACE level output to Log4J's DEBUG level output, from the very beginning.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging/impl/

>I still don't see what the problem would be in giving the user the
>NON-DEFAULT option of treating trace as a no-op.  However, I guess I can
>do what you suggest without too much difficulty.

We do give you this option -- implement a subclass of Log4JLogger (or
create your own -- it's pretty simple) and use that instead.

Craig