commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly Swing] Is this project still alive ??
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:03:54 GMT
Alpana Pande wrote:
> Is it worth investigating Jelly Swing ? Is this
> project still alive ?
>
> I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get the
> binaries / source working as per the tutorial.
> "maven demo:swing" does not work. I am wondering if it
> is worthwhile spending any more time on Jelly Swing.
> Are there better alternatives to this ?

Alpana,

Jelly is definitely alive just as jelly-swing.
The bug in the documentation is simple: you need to be in
<JELLY_HOME>/jelly-tags/swing to invoke "maven demo:swing",it has
nothing to do with maven as far as I know.

Jelly is alive in the sense that many questions come around, some small
fixes are applied...

If you want to see examples of development of jelly-swing, have a look
at the sourceforge project XWing where Jelly-swing is used as layout
language for a collection of XML-based Swing components.
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xwing
There's no distribution or website yet though it could all be made soon,
compilation works with maven.

The jelly-versions that you should use in general is the cvs version,
really... maven builds fine for the core and several of the taglibs
(including swing). For some others, an external download is required
(e.g. JMS, servlets...).
You might have a hope on the jakarta nightly builds, haven't checked
this recently.

The big problem in jelly currently is that James Strachan, probably the
most active father of Jelly, has dropped it.
Some comitters are around but a person is missing to coordinate it all.

If you have a patch, posting them to this list or submitting a jira
issue certainly will help someone who will consider uploading it.

This has happened right after refactoring out the taglibs as
subprojects... hence the documentation bugs.

Maybe a first step towards a beta would be to rehaul the documentation
completely at least covering:
- corrections for taglibs (the same apply for the xml, unit, and swt pages)
- precise URLs for each dependencies so that everyone can build the
whole jelly module (I have an impression that no-one has done it since
quite long).

Henry Yandell wrote:
> I would suspect a release towards the start of next year, but that's a
> complete finger in the air guess. I don't think anyone's going to be
> cleaning it up very soon, but I think that when Maven releases 1.0, it
> will give Jelly the push to move forward.

I would guess it might happen sooner even for a few other betas.
The trouble remains on the jexl side where I haven't seen lots of
activity either (see the recent posts on empty and size).
In the jexl world, also a creation of James Strachan, it is not clear
yet wether documentation is missing or there is a few ill-designed
things but there are clearly misunderstood pieces (like the size function).

Paul

PS: jelly-swing is stuck at another corner: tag-documentation. Tag
documentation was done using XDoclet for most other tag-libraries. For
jelly-swing, however, this doesn't really work because converters need
to be better managed... (so as to map attributes to setters). An issue
is opened since long in Jira on that.