commons-user mailing list archives

From Justin Wood <jus...@braidquest.com>
Subject [jelly] Jelly build fun and Library registration
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:15:44 GMT
Hi, All

Firstly let me say that I'm a big fan of jelly and give big kudos to the
developers.   I use some of the standard Jelly tags but mostly I use my own
libraries and tags to add a generic scripting capability to other
applications.   These are some of the niggles I have with regard to the way
Jelly is built and how custom (non Apache) libraries are added

- Currently if you want to build jelly you got to get 30 jars to satisfy
dependancies.   Does it have to be this way?

If I look at the Maven distribution I see there is a Jelly  jar there and it
only has the core jelly packages and then there are some other jars with
separate jelly taglibs in them eg the ant and util tags.    Looking at the
jelly.properties file from Maven, it is also appears to be different from the
stand alone jelly version so it looks as if those files are being made by
mavens build (haven't downloaded the maven source).    Since Jelly was split
off from Maven this is understandable.   Is it the intention of the Jelly
team to split the libraries and the build in this way too?   ... cos I'd
really like to see that and I think a couple of others might (might they?
...)    Something like a jelly-full.jar or jelly-core.jar with
jelly-optional.jar or jelly-core.jar with jelly-ant.jar, jelly-util.jar ...
etc would be cool

- Also If you want to include your own neat namespace declaration

like this
	<jelly xmlns="jelly:core" xmlns:f="jelly:BQData">

instead of this
	<jelly xmlns="jelly:core"
                 xmlns:f="jelly:com.braidquest.jelly.data.BQDataTagLibrary">

... then you have to edit the jelly.properties file inside the jar which is a
bit messy

Would it be possible to change this line from the configure() method in
XMLParser from

        URL url =

getClassLoader().getResource("org/apache/commons/jelly/jelly.properties");

        URL url =
            getClassLoader().getResource("jelly.properties");
	if (url==null) {
		url =

getClassLoader().getResource("org/apache/commons/jelly/jelly.properties");
	}

that way you could over ride the default properties with your own if you wish
or maybe have the properties declare themselves to add to the default say
with a line in the properties file like this

#tell Jelly that you want to register these libraries as well
jelly.properties=additive

Thoughts?

Justin