commons-user mailing list archives

From "Robert C. Mohn" <rm...@EmprisaNetworks.com>
Subject [daemon] Can't specify jvm.dll for tomcat.exe
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:47:51 GMT
I am running tomcat 5.0.12, JDK 1.4.2, Windows XP SP1.    I'm trying to
package the JRE, tomcat, and my webapp into a package to be installed on a
customers box.   As part of the install I am using tomcat.exe to install
the tomcat service.

When I specify my local jvm.dll file for the --Java option to tomcat.exe,
tomcat doesn't run.  Specifically, it cannot find the
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina class when the service starts.   As a
test, I was able to reproduce this with the standard tomcat installation.

To reproduce, install tomcat on windows xp.
1.  Go to the services control panel and verify that
    the tomcat service can be started/stopped.

2. Then go to the registry,
   HKLM/Software/Apache Software Foundation/Process Runner
1.0/Tomcat5/Parameters
   and change the java parameter from "java" to
   "c:\j2sdk\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" (or
   to the path where your jvm.dll is located).

3. Go to the services control panel and try to start the tomcat service.

Tomcat will no longer run.   Is this a bug or is there another parameter
that I have to specify if I'm running with a local jvm?

Thanks,
-Rob