commons-user mailing list archives

From "Knut Wannheden" <knut.wannhe...@paranor.ch>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] SystemPropertiesSymbolSource
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:42:36 GMT
Howard,

> I wanted that code to be available; but it is not universally clear to me
where it fits into the
> scheme of things; should system properties take priority over
ApplicationDefaults or vice-versa ...
> or should they only be used during development, but not in product?  So
the class is there and its
> easy to contribute it to hivemind.SymbolSources (I'll update the Javadoc
for the class to show how)
> but I don't think its appropriate for there to be a contribution for it.

I agree with you that there should not be a contribution, but I was
obviously unable to express this correctly.  I'll try again.

The configurations documentation on
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/hivemind/configurations.html has a
section about "Substitution Symbols" with a "Symbol Sources" subsection.
Neither of these sections mentions the availability of the
SystemPropertiesSymbolSource class. It _is_ however mentioned in the
following FAQ section, but it is not clear whether this implementation is
actually contributed or not. And, again, I agree with you that it should
_not_ be contributed by the "hivemind" module itself. But this decision
should be stated in the documentation.

I hope you can see the subtlety I'm trying to point out. It's really only a
documentation issue.

--knut