commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] confused over usage of ConvertUtils [SOLVED]
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:47:25 GMT

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Sgarlata Matt wrote:

> That's what I was thinking, which made me very displeased because I felt
> that ConvertUtils should be able to do this formatting automagically.
>
> Fortunately, ConvertUtils *is* automagical; we just weren't thinking about
> Converters correctly :)  To go from String -> Date one uses a DateConverter,
> so of course to go from Date -> String one uses a StringConverter.  Isn't
> symmetry great?  It's funny neither of us realized this at first.

Not really. StringConverter's javadoc says that it takes a String and
makes it a String. The implementation probably just calls .toString() on
the Object, which isn't really what would be wanted.

[quick peek shows:

        if (value == null) {
            return ((String) null);
        } else {
            return (value.toString());
        }
]

I'd want a getFormatted() method on BeanUtils which uses a FormatUtils to
handle Object->String in the same way ConvertUtils handles String->Object.

Hen