commons-user mailing list archives

From "Qin Ding" <qd...@csc.com>
Subject Re: [validator] validator dtd or schema
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:20:32 GMT

Thank you, David, for your quick response.

I believe that after the following code, the java objects (Formset, Form,
Fields etc) are all populated with the data from validation.xml.  Is it
true?

         InputStream input = null;
        BufferedInputStream bis = null;

        input = getClass().getResourceAsStream(Constants.CONFIG_DIR +
validatorRules);  //validation.xml
        if (input != null){
          bis = new BufferedInputStream(input);
          try{
            ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(validatorResources,
bis);
          }catch(Exception e){
            e.printStackTrace();
          }
        }
      }

      resources.process();

      //From this point on, I should be able to get the Formset -->getForm
--> getField --> getProperty() and getDepends()
     // Manipulated the data and then put the data into VelocityContext;

If so, I don't need to generate the java objects again.  All I need is to
get the data out from the Formset, Form, and Fields objects.  Can you tell
me from validatorResources object or something else, how can I get the
formset object?  I don't see the method getFormset().  From Formset, I
think I can get the fields and their requirements out.   If I have the
following simple validation.xml,

<formset>
    <form name="Aftermarket">
      <field property="prdCd" depends="required,mask">
        <var>
          <var-name>mask</var-name>
          <var-value>[a-zA-Z0-9]*</var-value>
        </var>
      </field>
      <field property="dsc" depends="required">
      </field>
    </form>
  </formset>

how can I get

Form "Aftermaket"
Field
  property "prdCd"
  depends (requirements) "required, mask"
  var-value "[a-zA-Z0-9]*"
Form "SomeOtherField"
Field
  property "fieldone"
  depends "required"
Field....
Form "SomeOtherForm"

Please help me with this. Thank you.

Qin

for such purpose.

                      David Graham

                      <grahamdavid1980         To:      Jakarta Commons Users List

                      @yahoo.com>              <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      09/10/03 03:31           Subject: Re: [validator] validator dtd or schema

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Jakarta

                      Commons Users

                      List"

--- Qin Ding <qding@csc.com> wrote:
> Here is my goal: validation.xml contains all the user-defined the
> validation requirements for each bean and every fields for a given bean.
> In
> a validation report, I need to list the requirements and the validation
> results. To do that,  I am thinking to use XML binding tool to create
> java
> objects based on validation dtd or schema; and then I can populate the
> generated java object using the validation.xml.  After that, I can get
> the
> rules for each bean from java to velocity report.
>
> I use Sun's JAXB tool to build java objects based on validation_1_1.dtd.
> However, when I tried to generate the java files, I got the error
> stating
> that validation_1_1.dtd is not well-formed (first line).
>
> Now, my questions:
> (1) is validation_1_1.dtd the latest version?

Yes.

>I saw in the common line I
> need to use validator_1_0.dtd.  So, I tried that file. I still got the
> same
> error.
> (2) does validation.xml have schema file (ie xsd file)?

No.

> If so, where I
> can
> get a copy of the schema?
> (3) how does validator handling xml to java internally?  Is there an
> easy
> way to extract the rules from validation.xml?

Validator uses Commons Digester to turn validation.xml files into Java
objects.  See the ValidatorResources constructor for an example.

David