commons-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Qin <Phillip....@shareowner.com>
Subject RE: [dbcp] db connection pooling under firewall
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:02:21 GMT
Thank you, I have already fixed my problem (exactly the solution 1, but
still using dbcp v1.0).

One thing I don't understand is minIdle. My maxIdle is 10, minIdle is 10. I
opened up 2 connections and leave them idle. After "A" milliseconds, I only
saw these two established while I am expecting 10 connections established.
There is a method call in GenericObjectPool.Evictor ensureMinIdle. This
method should keep num of idle connections to 10!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Verbeeck [mailto:dirk.verbeeck@pandora.be]
Sent: September 10, 2003 4:59 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [dbcp] db connection pooling under firewall

Hi Philip

* Solution 1:
DBCP has the requested feature. It is not included in v1.0 so you need a
nightly build.
The parameters you are looking for are:
(A) timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis: The number of milliseconds to sleep
between runs of the idle object evictor thread.
(B) numTestsPerEvictionRun: The number of objects to examine during each
run of the idle object evictor thread (if any).
(C) minEvictableIdleTimeMillis : The minimum amount of time an object
may sit idle in the pool before it is eligable for eviction by the idle
object evictor (if any).

Every "A" milliseconds, "B" idle connections are tested, if they are
idle for more then "C" milliseconds then they will be removed from the pool

Typical values are:
(A) timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis: 60000   (default is disabled)
(B) numTestsPerEvictionRun: 3     (=default)
(C) minEvictableIdleTimeMillis : 1800000  (=1000 * 60 * 30)  (=default)

* Solution 2:
You can also prevent that your firewall from dropping the connection
using a oracle technique.
SQL*Net has a parameter which defines time interval to send a probe
message to identify if the client process is still alive
- SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME, sqlnet.ora file on the server side.
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = <your_value>
Set it to something like 30 when your firewall drops connection after 60
minutes.
See:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/network.817/a76933/par
ams.htm#437583

We use (2) in our server environment and it works perfectly.

Of couse if there is a chance thay your network goes completely down
then (1) will recover that case as well.
But in that case you will probably want to turn on the DBCP
testOnBorrow/validationQuery feature.

Regards
Dirk