commons-user mailing list archives

From "TULK, Daniel, FM" <Daniel.T...@rbos.com>
Subject RE: [Commons DBCP] Question.
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:22:39 GMT
I had a similar problem and it was because the connections weren't being
validated. The current release version of DBCP allows a validationQuery
configuration parameter. The parameter is used to test the database
connection before it is returned, when it isn't valid it will be renewed. I
don't know how to test a SAPDB connection but for Sybase I added this to my
Tomcat server.xml in the section where the DataSource is configured:

<parameter>
	<name>validationQuery</name>
      <value>SELECT 1</value>
</parameter>

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Kwok Peng Tuck [mailto:pengtuck@makmal.net]
Sent: 10 September 2003 11:09
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: [Commons DBCP] Question.

I have a question about commons DBCP, maybe someone has and idea.
I want to know how commons DBCP would cope with DB connections that have
gone idle and are closed by the
database.
I've used commons DBCP provided by tomcat and find that after 15 minutes
SAPDB will close the connection.
When DBCP gives the webapp a connection, we get a BorrowObject null and
throw a exception. I've found that
writing some sort of keep alive helps this alot for us.
Does anyone know if the nightly build of DBCP can cope with this better ?

Thanks.

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
             Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

            Visit our website at http://www.rbs.co.uk/CBFM/