commons-user mailing list archives

From Todd Carmichael <to...@concur.com>
Subject RE: [DBCP] Timeout for creating a new connection
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:21:57 GMT
After some snooping I see that some of the functionality that I need is not
in dbcp but in the commons pool library.  But it is not exactly what I want.
There is a max wait paramter but it only works for when_exhausted_block
setting.  I want the wait to work in when_exhausted_grow mode.  So if I
wait, and there is still no connection available, create a new one.

ToddC

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Carmichael [mailto:toddc@concur.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 11:30 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List'
Subject: [DBCP] Timeout for creating a new connection

I am interested in a setting that if the db pool is exhausted, then the code
will wait a certain amount of time for a new object to appear available in
the pool.  Our problem is that under load, the system ends up creating a
huge number of connections.  Creating a new connection in MS SQL Server is a
huge performance and scalability hit.  If the code could wait a 100-500 ms,
then a connection most likely become available.  This would definitely be a
configuration parameter.  Is this functionality available or should I just
patch the code myself?

Thanks.
Todd Carmichael