commons-user mailing list archives

From Sy Andrew <Andrew...@siemens.com>
Subject [Pool] GenericObjectPool release of resources during garbage coll ection
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:48:22 GMT

When an instance of GenericObjectPool is about to be garbage collected, does
it release the objects/resources in its pool (e.g. by calling the
PoolableObjectFactory.destroyObject(Object) method)? I plan to use
GenericObjectPool to pool some objects, where each of these objects is
holding on to a network connection. Ideally, the connections should always
be closed cleanly.

Of course I can also implement finalize() on my own objects, or use a
PhantomReference to the GenericObjectPool instance to ensure that this
happens. But I just wanted to make sure first that GenericObjectPool is not
already doing the work for me. I looked at the source code for
GenericObjectPool and it did not seem to be doing this functionality. But
since it's my first time looking at the code, can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.

otherwise confidential information.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing,
be unlawful.  If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to CSOffice@smed.com.  Thank you