commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] confused over usage of ConvertUtils
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:53:34 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

>I could be utterly wrong here, but I've always thought the Convert stuff
>was String->Object, even though the API is convert(Class, Object);Object.
>I think the second parameter is effectively a String for uses within
>beanutils.

This (String-to-Object) was definitely the initial reason for the
existence of ConvertUtils (it started in Struts, where this code was
originally used to populate form bean properties from request parameters
(which are always strings).

>For Object->String, you would basically want to be looking at a Formatter
>library [java.text.Format, with DateFormat being obvious choices].

You can actually do this with ConvertUtils by registering a Converter
for java.lang.String that looks at the Class argument to decide what
object type the output should be.  Of course, for date/time values, you
have to figure out how you're going to deal with all the formatting and
locale-specific options, so using DateFormat and friends is probably the
better path.

>Dunno though, could be a lot going on I haven't looked at much in
>BeanUtils. Still trying to understand the whole Locale section.
>
>Hen

Craig