commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Timeout for creating a new connection
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:45:42 GMT
MaxActive is the maximum number of active connections, a hard limit to
protect the database from an overload of connections.
The think you describe is the MaxIdle limit.

MaxIdle is the maximum number of connections that can be in the pool at
any given time (not counting the connections in use).
When there are no connections left in the pool (all are in use) then new
connections will be created.
Taking into account the hard limit on the total number of connections
(=MaxActive) of course.
When the usage goes down (and the connections return to the pool) only a
fixed amount will be allowed back into the pool (=MaxIdle).
The remaining connections will be destroyed.

Quite similar I think.
Maybe there is a difference in language. When I say in the pool I mean
idle/unused connections. The active/used connections are borrowed from
the pool and not in the pool anymore. Later, they are returned to the
pool.

Hmm, I hope this make some sense ;-)

Cheers
Dirk