commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Timeout for creating a new connection
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:19:57 GMT
What version of DBCP/pool are you using? Configuration parameters?

The 'huge number of connections' can be limited with the maxActive
parameter.
This should be enough to control a system under permanent high load.

If you are experiencing usage peaks (from 10 active to 100 and back to
10) then there are currently already some options.
When you don't have a maxIdle configured then the connections remain in
the pool ready for the next peak, this is the simplest way.

The grow rate isn't controlled. It is only limited by the synchronized
makeObject() in PoolableConnectionFactory. (one new connection at a time)
In our example all 90 connections will be created. All threads will
block on makeObject() and will not notice when a connection becomes
available.

If you don't want a lot of idle connections in your pool but also have a
lot of usage peaks then you should consider using the "evictor" feature.
Using the timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis, numTestsPerEvictionRun and
minEvictableIdleTimeMillis, you can control the rate the connections are
removed from the pool and this helps against multiple usage peaks while
still reducing the idle connections under moderate/low usage.

Already some options are available as you can see, all depends on the usage.

But there is still room for improvements, your idea to wait before
growing can be usefull.
Removing the synchronized makeObject and letting the pool control the
grow rate is would also be nice.

If you can make a performance test that simulates your pool usage then
we can do some finetuning.

Dirk