commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Possible to explicitly close down a DataSource/Connection Pool?
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:21:23 GMT
Normally all connections should be closed, on an oracle level as well.
If you doubth then check the oracle session (select * from v$session)
or do a netstat on a command promp and count the connection to the
database server.

Peter Smith wrote:

>We started having some database resource issues just after I introduced a DBCP-based class
into our
>environment.  I think I am closing all connections/statements/resultsets appropriately,
but I was wondering if
>Oracle just isn't cleaning-up invalid connections or something??
>We're using the BasicDataSource object without JNDI, DBCP version 1.0.  I've tried BasicDataSource.close(),

>but it doesn't seem to do much -> I think this because as soon as I go to grab another
connection from the
>BasicDataSource that I just closed, the connection gets returned almost instantly.  I
was expecting it to take a
>couple of seconds to crank up a new connection like it seems to take when i first create
the BasicDataSource
>and grab a connection.  What does it mean that it's so fast in returning a connection
after the
>BasicDataSource is supposedly closed?  After closing, BasicDataSource reports 0 active
and idle connections.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message