commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: XML / SAX heavy optimization !
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:37:37 GMT
Thomas Lionel SMETS wrote:

> We have a program that needs to be heavily optimized (processing a tenth
> of the expected volume). The program is heavily using SAX-parsing ! I
> was wandering if any body had place were I could start optimizing
> (getting the cheap bucks first).
>
> Any idea is welcome,
>
> \T,
>
> p.s. :
> I need the cheap bucks in Jackarta SAX not in optimization !

Thomas,

Jakarta Sax doesn't exist...
If you mean SAX, it's an independent project http://sax.sourceforge.net.
It is by no means slow though!!

If you mean the parser is slow... well... maybe there can be something
done there... (try Saxon's AElfred for example, I had a factor of two
compared to Xerces).

But generally the other side of the road is slow: allocating memory as
the result of parsing...
That's the case when you build a dom/jdom/dom4j representation...That's
the case when you transform also (they have an internal representation).

Not too sure of anything else...

Paul