commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Usage in standalone program
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:58:17 GMT
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Kwok Peng Tuck wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:03:36 +0800
> From: Kwok Peng Tuck <pengtuck@makmal.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Users List <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [DBCP] Usage in standalone program
>
> I'm using BasicDataSource to provide a pool of db connections,
> I just want to know if the getConnection() method of  the
> BasicDataSource is thread safe ?  Thanks.

Short answer ... it better be, or this class isn't of much use :-).

Longer answer ... the thread safety of this method depends on the thread
safety of the underlying commons-pool methods used to construct the
underlying object pool.  My examination of the code implies that there
shouldn't be any thread safety problems (and I have not encountered any
myself in practice), but that doesn't mean there might not be some.

Craig