commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons-loggin and AsyncAppender
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:18:42 GMT
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 john.donahue@pfpc.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:40:37 -0400
> From: john.donahue@pfpc.com
> To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Commons-loggin and AsyncAppender
>
> That's exactly my point...the use of AsyncAppender requires an XML
> formatted configuration file, not a java properties formatted configuration
> file, and the commons-logging doesn't seem to work with such configuration
> files.

And you missed my point as well -- commons-logging has nothing to do with
*configuration* of logging systems.  It only abstracts the actual logging
calls themselves.  C-L doesn't read *any* Log4J configuration files
itself.

For Log4J, commons-logging just calls getLogger(String name) on the
org.apache.log4j.Logger class.  How that logger is configured is totally
up to Log4J, not commons-logging.

> Should I be posting this on the log4j mailing list?

If it's a question of how to configure an AsyncAppender for Log4J, then
yes that would be a good bet.  All commons-logging knows about is the
names of the loggers -- how they are configured is up to the underlying
system.

Craig