commons-user mailing list archives

From Daniel McAllansmith <>
Subject Re: [betwixt] 1.0 beta dev, Recursive references result in infinite recursion
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:36:08 GMT
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:02, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> hi daniel
> this sounds like a bug. the current way that betwixt rulesets work are
> about to be refactored so (personally speaking) i'm unlikely to fix this.
> of course, there's nothing to stop you (or anyone else) patching it
> yourself ;)
> i had hoped to get on with refactoring this really soon but unfortunately
> the ASF is short of bandwidth at the moment and i'm spending a lot of time
> at the moment moving releases onto mirrors and archiving old releases.
> hopefully i'll able to get back to coding again next week if you're able
> to wait that long. otherwise, you could try the alpha1 release.

I did start out using the alpha1 release which doesn't suffer this problem
but, unless I'm mistaken, there is no facility for custom Object <-> String
conversion in the alpha release.

I had a bit of a look at the beta to see if I could fix it, there is code
whose intention is to prevent this problem using the qualifiedName of
NodeDescriptors, these qualifiedNames don't seem to be set correctly though.
Regardless of that, I don't think using just the qualifiedNames is sufficient
as different beans could have coincident (chains of) property names.

So, short answer is if you think you can give me some hints on how to fix this
quickly I'll give it a crack, otherwise I'll stick with the alpha and do
Object/String conversion outside betwixt until someone who knows what they're
doing can fix the beta.

View raw message