commons-user mailing list archives

From Anton Tagunov <atagu...@mail.cnt.ru>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Possible to explicitly close down a DataSource/Connection Pool?
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:28:39 GMT
Hello Peter!

Pass #1)

I've heard certain gossip recently on one of apache
lists that Oracle jdbc driver requires you to explicitly
cose any ResultSet then any Statement and then any Connection..

Or, maybe I'm totally out of the point here?.. Let me try again!

Pass #2)

Try the cvs version of DBCP and pool.
There has been a lot of fixing around it lately.

Pass #3)

But what is your problem exactly?
I see two problems in your mail, right?

3.1) You feel that some db-connection resources are leaking
3.2) Even when you explicitly close the pool it acts as if it
     is open?

Please confirm if you have both 3.1 and 3.2.
Please confirm if you still have 3.1 and 3.2 with cvs DBCP.

3.2 looks like a bug - after all, close() is close() and
the datasource should be out of operation after it, shouldn't it?
But this is not your primary problem, as I guess, right?

BTW, the 2 second delay on first connection retrieval might be
the time needed to load the driver into memory. The connection
itself on a LAN may be quite fast.

So, let's try to see if I have understood you correctly :-)

Saturday, September 6, 2003, 8:08:49 AM, you wrote:

PS> We started having some database resource issues just after I introduced a DBCP-based
class into our
PS> environment.  I think I am closing all connections/statements/resultsets appropriately,
but I was wondering if
PS> Oracle just isn't cleaning-up invalid connections or something??

PS> We're using the BasicDataSource object without JNDI, DBCP version 1.0.  I've tried
BasicDataSource.close(),
PS> but it doesn't seem to do much -> I think this because as soon as I go to grab another
connection from the
PS> BasicDataSource that I just closed, the connection gets returned almost instantly.
 I was expecting it to take a
PS> couple of seconds to crank up a new connection like it seems to take when i first create
the BasicDataSource
PS> and grab a connection.  What does it mean that it's so fast in returning a connection
after the
PS> BasicDataSource is supposedly closed?  After closing, BasicDataSource reports 0 active
and idle connections.

--
Best regards,
 Anton                            mailto:atagunov@mail.cnt.ru