commons-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Smith " <shmo...@lycos.co.uk>
Subject [DBCP] Possible to explicitly close down a DataSource/Connection Pool?
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 04:08:49 GMT
We started having some database resource issues just after I introduced a DBCP-based class
into our
environment.  I think I am closing all connections/statements/resultsets appropriately, but
I was wondering if
Oracle just isn't cleaning-up invalid connections or something??

We're using the BasicDataSource object without JNDI, DBCP version 1.0.  I've tried BasicDataSource.close(),

but it doesn't seem to do much -> I think this because as soon as I go to grab another
connection from the
BasicDataSource that I just closed, the connection gets returned almost instantly.  I was
expecting it to take a
couple of seconds to crank up a new connection like it seems to take when i first create the
BasicDataSource
and grab a connection.  What does it mean that it's so fast in returning a connection after
the
BasicDataSource is supposedly closed?  After closing, BasicDataSource reports 0 active and
idle connections.

Thanks.

SIZE does matter - The UK's biggest *Free* Web based mail - 10 MB Free
mail.lycos.co.uk