commons-user mailing list archives

From "Marco Tedone" <mted...@jemos.org>
Subject Fw: Problem switching to Struts 1.1
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:13:18 GMT
Hi, as I explained in the forwarded email I switched to Struts 1.1 and my
application can't get deployed any more. I receive the following exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:91
2)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:823)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
3421)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3609)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)
 at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.start(CatalinaService.java:273)
 at
)
 at
.java:25)
 at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.start(BootstrapService.java:245
)
 at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:307)
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
 at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
sorImpl.java:39)
 at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstruc
torAccessorImpl.java:27)
 at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:90
3)
[...]
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:532)
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:272)
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:246)
 at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:395)
 at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.<clinit>(ActionServlet.java:375)
 ... 23 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
mpl.java:416)
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:525)
 ... 27 more
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
 at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1444)
 at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1289)
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl$1.run(LogFactoryImpl.java:466
)
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.loadClass(LogFactoryImpl.java
:454)
 at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
mpl.java:406)
 ... 28 more

It seems clear that the problem is
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog class which is not found. I
had a look at the commons-logging file (I'm using version  1.0.3) and there
is a similar class called org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog
(Please note the capital 'J'). How could I solve this problem?

Regards,

Marco