commons-user mailing list archives

From "Marco Tedone" <mted...@jemos.org>
Subject Re: Fw: Problem switching to Struts 1.1
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:29:15 GMT
Thank you. I solved the problem by editing the commong-logging.properties
file.

Marco
----- Original Message -----
From: "__matthewHawthorne" <mhawthorne@alumni.pitt.edu>
To: "Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Problem switching to Struts 1.1

> I've had similar problems lately deploying on Weblogic.  While I can't
> give you a 100% full-proof solution, I can tell you what I know.
>
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog is a class for older
> versions of Log4j (back when logger was category and level was priority,
> I believe).
>
> I believe your problem has to do with code compiled with commons-logging
> v1.0.2 but running with v1.0.3.  I've never used Struts, so I don't know
> if it has any specific peculiarities with regards to classloading vs.
> the way that Tomcat behaves.
>
> There are some class conflicts, so you need to investigate where the
> classes are being loaded from.  Search all of the lib directories in
> struts and tomcat and see what versions you find of commons-logging and
> log4j.
>

> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 11:13, Marco Tedone wrote:
> > Hi, as I explained in the forwarded email I switched to Struts 1.1 and
my
> > application can't get deployed any more. I receive the following
exception:

> > javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class
> > org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:91
> > 2)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:823)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
> > 3421)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3609)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
> >  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.start(CatalinaService.java:273)
> >  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> >  at

> > )
> >  at

> > ..java:25)
> >  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.start(BootstrapService.java:245
> > )
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:307)
> > ----- Root Cause -----
> > java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
> >  at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
Method)
> >  at

sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
> > sorImpl.java:39)
> >  at

sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstruc
> > torAccessorImpl.java:27)
> >  at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
> >  at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:308)
> >  at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:90
> > 3)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:823)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
> > 3421)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3609)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
> >  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.start(CatalinaService.java:273)
> >  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> >  at

> > )
> >  at

> > ..java:25)
> >  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.start(BootstrapService.java:245
> > )
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:307)
> > Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> > org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
> > va:532)
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
> > va:272)
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
> > va:246)
> >  at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:395)
> >  at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.<clinit>(ActionServlet.java:375)
> >  ... 23 more
> > Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
> > mpl.java:416)
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
> > va:525)
> >  ... 27 more
> > org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
> > a:1444)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
> > a:1289)
> >  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
> >  at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
> >  at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141)
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl$1.run(LogFactoryImpl.java:466
> > )
> >  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.loadClass(LogFactoryImpl.java
> > :454)
> >  at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryI
> > mpl.java:406)
> >  ... 28 more
> >
> > It seems clear that the problem is
> > org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog class which is not
found. I
> > had a look at the commons-logging file (I'm using version  1.0.3) and
there
> > is a similar class called
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog
> > (Please note the capital 'J'). How could I solve this problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Marco

:)