commons-user mailing list archives

From Steve Byrne <...@penguinis.org>
Subject Re: [Digester] XML driven schema validation?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:27:45 GMT
Simon Kitching <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> writes:

> What are you seeing as your behaviour? A hang, or just invalid documents
> being processed?

The behavior [our economic conditions prevent us from spending extra money on
adding the additional "U"] that I'm seeing is precisely that you'd get if you
turned on validation and didn't have a <!DOCTYPE > declaration in the page.

It says something about invalid root element, was expecting "null" but got
"modules" or whatver the root element in the input document is.

> Hmm.. I wonder what default ErrorHandler the Digester sets up for its
> parser...
>
> One solution for you that will *definitely* work is for you to create a
> validating SAXParser object yourself, using the normal JAXP apis, pass
> the Digester object as the SAX Content Handler (digester implements this
> interface) then call parse on the SAX parser object. This way, you have
> the responsibility of setting up the parser exactly as you wish. Well,
> by "definitely work", I mean that the responsibility for setting up the
> parser to do validation is now yours, not the digester's.

Right -- that will work alright.  Still, it would be nice to know definitively
if digester cannot support the behavior outlined, and if so, the docs should be
clear on the usage of the setSchema method and what it implies.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Steve