commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject [jelly] Jelly needs a release Was: jelly demos don't compile even with the jars
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:07:47 GMT

[Cross-posting]

John Farrel has had lots of trouble trying to get the released version of
Jelly to build. So I figured I'd run through the instructions Jelly gives:

Downloaded the jar.

Running 'ant' as the README says. It's getting lots of jars, but failing
on jms, xsdlib and jdbc. Then of course it dies. Running maven normally
with 'maven' would be no different.

This is with Maven 0.7, which I suspect is what this version of Jelly was
created against [or 0.4+]. I find that 0.4->0.7 of Maven are fairly
compatible, but that 0.8 can hit problems in compatibility.

So the basic problem here is that Jelly hasn't been released since July
2002 [and is still at beta 3]. The source is not buildable for beta-3.

Looking at CVS, beta-4-SNAPSHOT is what is being worked upon. It no longer
relies upon xsdlib, jdbc and jms. Checking it out and running 'maven' as
the README now suggests gives me a file not found for ../project.xml.
Always a pain :) Grabbing that and LICENSE.txt which will also be needed,
it builds happily.

Jelly has no nightly build, which is odd as most of Commons does have a
nightly build.

It seems to me that Jelly should push out beta-4 if only so that a
buildable version is out there. Of course, there have been 689 commits
since that release, so I imagine the codebase might not be ready to walk
out the door.

Hen