commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: jelly demos don't compile even with the jars
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 06:50:58 GMT

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, John Farrell wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 02:26 pm, Kwok Peng Tuck wrote:
> > Well as for your problem, too me it looks like you do not have Commons
> > Discovery in the classpath for whatever you are building.
> > Are you sure that the build script knows where the commons-discovery jar
> > is ?
>
> OK, on further investigation, I do have the jar, and the dependency in
> project.xml is right, but the jelly code does not compile against that jar.

Ouch. :(

> So I am guessing that my problem is that the jelly source download is so old
> it no longer compiles. Well that's wasted most of a day for me! It's back to
> trying to use cvsgrab to get CVS HEAD for jelly. But I have almost forgotten
> why I am bothering.

I've found that the speed of Maven can get frustrating at times. Problems
you can quite often hit are that the mavenised project you're trying to
build is not setup for the version of maven you've grabbed.

Could you let me know which particular jelly source download you grabbed?
I'll happily apply a bit more experience as a maven user to try to repeat
your problems and get a report together. I know that James Strachan [the
main Jelly guy] is up to his neck in Geronimo [J2EE server] at the moment.

For all the teething trouble Maven can have, it is a great tool. I've been
using it for 18 months now and despite occasional frustrations, it's made
work and personal code a lot lot easier. The biggest problem is that by
using Maven I have been able to continue my tendency to use bash for tasks
and not migrated to Ant as my scripting language.

Hen