commons-user mailing list archives

From "Barclay A. Dunn" <barc...@happypuppy.com>
Subject Help! heavy traffic is crapping out our site every 5 min! DBCP exceptions
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:04:41 GMT
i also asked for help from the tomcat-users list, and we narrowed my problem
down to (surprise) dbcp problems.

we are getting a ton of these errors in our catalina.out and i could use
help in fixing it.

i know they are related to our connection pooling, but not what to do to
fix. my understanding of the underlying mechanics of connection pooling is
somewhat limited, though i have subscribed to this list to remedy that if
possible.

i am using a try / catch / finally block to close EVERY connection in my
code. i mean 100%. but i think i am still seeing leaks.

thanks,
barclay

i have put two different but related error messages in here:

java.sql.SQLException: DBCP could not obtain an idle db connection, pool
exhausted
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool.borrowObject(AbandonedObjectPool
.java:123)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.ja
va:110)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:3
12)
        at com.happypuppy.util.HPSql.getConnection(HPSql.java:21)
        at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:222)

AND

org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: java.sql.SQLException:
[Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Error establishing socket.
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConne
ctionFactory.java:85)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnect
ionFactory.java:184)
        at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool.borrowObject(AbandonedObjectPool
.java:117)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.ja
va:110)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:3
12)
        at com.happypuppy.util.HPSql.getConnection(HPSql.java:21)
        at com.happypuppy.util.HPUser.isLoggedIn(HPUser.java:121)
        at
org.apache.jsp.checkLoggedIn_jsp._jspService(checkLoggedIn_jsp.java:56)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)