commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: unsatisfied dependencies in jelly demos
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:50:28 GMT

On Vendredi, août 8, 2003, at 03:18 Europe/Paris, John Farrell wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:57 am, Adrian Sutton wrote:
>> You have to manually download the JDBC jar from Sun and drop it into
>> your
>> local maven repository as the licensing requirements on the jar
>> prevent it from being downloaded automatically by maven at this >> stage.
> I expected that would be the answer, but I have to do it for jdbc, jms
> and
> xsdlib. I don't know what xsdlib is, and if I can't find it, jelly
> just won't  work for me. Also, I will only be guessing as to what
> jelly expects to find in my repository.

The problem is generic... a similar problem would occur if you would
download jelly without a maven build (much much fatter): you would need
to follow instructions on how to download the dependencies that are not
distributable.

Where you place it seems obvious from maven approach, or doesn'it ?
Just have a look at ~/.maven/repository/

> The Jelly tutorial page says "and hopefully make your first
> experience with Jelly enjoyable and fun". Well, so far it is failing.
> So far  it is frustrating the heck out of me. Neither the tutorial
> page nor the  Getting Started page tell me that I actually have to
> hunt down 3 jars that I  may or may not be familiar with, and stick
> them in some place which is  undocumented before any of the tutorials
> will work. In fact the Getting
> Started page says "This should download all the required jars required
> build and run all the example Jelly scripts, compile all the code and
> build
> and run all the unit test cases", although the developers are well
> aware that  that is NOT the case.

I think we all know jelly-packaging is currently in a bad state.
No-one had the time to actually make it all work clean. Possibly
flagging appropriately the taglibs that have bad dependencies.
Maybe a distribution of jelly where only taglibs without downloadable
dependencies are could be made ? There's a little bit of work left into
it.

To help into running your own jelly, I've mailed to this list an
extension of the maven.xml of jelly to allow classpath resolution.
Check the archives under the subject "jellypack".
Again, it's unfinished.

Paul