commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] ConvertUtils.convert too restrictive?
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:52:38 GMT
On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 09:10 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> [convert] would be a whole subproject in commons dedicated to converting
> objects to other objects (typically to and from strings).

there are quite a few related issues which such a package might hope to
solve.

> Transformer (in [collctions] ) is one example of the kind of interface.
> [functor] will have others. The point about [convert] would be that its
> central interface would be conversion focussed. Hopefully [beanutils]
> could
> then depend on [convert].

i don't think that the core dependencies of beanutils will ever be added
to but i'm becoming more and more certain that an 'optional' package
containing implementations which depend on optional dependencies is what
beanutils is going to need to move onto the next level

> Of course, this is a pipedream at present as I don't have the time to kick
> this off...

that's the way life seems to me as well (at least at the moment).

- robert